To keep your pet safe among all the decorations, food, and hustle and bustle of the busy holidays is the most important thing to do. With so much of the festivities going on, it is obvious to forget the risks that this time of year poses to our pets. Although most of these risks are throughout the year, we definitely see high chances at this time of year, likely due to the abundance of tasty treats and their accessibility. Here are these things from which you need to keep your pet safe during Christmas.
With households often full of chocolate throughout the Christmas, it is important to keep these out of reach of pets. Even if it is wrapped under a tree, dogs can sniff them out. Chocolate contains the stimulant theobromine which can cause seizures and heart rhythm abnormalities.
As we all know nut consumption is high during this period, there are associated risks for pets. The nuts and shells can be a hazard and can also cause intestinal problems. Macadamia nuts present an additional risk to dogs as ingestion has been associated with vomiting and weakness.
Bones from meat, poultry or fish present a dangerous threat to pets. Cooked bones are brittle and therefore can splinter when chewed. This can cause blockage and pierce in the digestive tract. As well as not feeding scraps with cooked bones in, ensure pets do not tear open bin bags or root out the bones from bins.
Sugar substitute sweeteners are not only used in tea and coffee but also in many tasty treats, such as cakes, biscuits, mints, jam and peanut butter. Most are non-toxic to pets but xylitol is one that is commonly used which can be life-threatening to dogs. Affected dogs present with low blood sugar and this can loss of coordination, collapse, and seizures within half an hour of consumption.
Tinsel and ribbons:
If given a chance, the cats family will play with the ribbons used to wrap presents. These can be swallowed and can entangle in the cat’s intestines, causing life-threatening blockages. Playing with tinsel can cause the same problems in cats and other animals.
Christmas trees and fairy lights:
Many cats and kittens will feel compelled to climb Christmas trees, harming themselves. It is advisable to ensure trees are securely based so that they are less likely to be felled by a curious cat. Limiting access to rooms containing a tree when unsupervised is a good idea. Pet ingestion of pine needles can cause stomach upsets and intestinal problems. Fairy lights pose the possibility of pets getting tangled up in wires, which can cause an animal to panic and injure themselves. If swallowed, bulbs can pose threats to pets. Edible decorations are always going to be of interest to pets, and even placing them out of their eye-line won’t stop them from investigating further.